Tuesday 24 October 2017

For South Africans by a South African (and every light – hie on the Flats)

Sometimes I am ashamed to be South African,
Ashamed to be Capetonian,
A laaitie from the Flats,
Tryina be a light - hie on the Flats.

I live in a country where the unemployment rate
affects half the working age,
Where we burn down our resources to express our rage.

I live in a city where neighbourhoods are riddled with more bullets than jobs.
Where gangsters walk hand in hand with the cops.

I live on the Cape Flats and these aren’t fake facts.
My people die every day - no protection but Zuma still takes tax.


Sometimes I am ashamed to be South African.
Ashamed to be Capetonian,
Emotionally bled out and evident in our acts
Watching the death of the light – hie(s) on the flats

I live in a country where corruption and greed precede,
Where greed is like meat and those who don't steal can't eat.

I live in a city where the blood of the innocent flows freely,
Where taking the life of another comes easily.


I live on the Cape Flats where life’s a race,
Rats killing each other,
Feeding fat cats,
while the son of a mother
weeps and wears black.


Sometimes I am ashamed to be South African.
Ashamed to be Capetonian,
But I'ma custodian
Protecting my light - hie on the Flats.


- Distressed Citizen

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Free Trip Around South Africa in 30 Days

South Africa . Our breathtakingly beautiful country is predicted to contribute R424.5bn toward the economy this year. Just to ...